The pros and cons of dermal fillers
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are small gel injections used to smooth out lines and wrinkles in the face and give volume to your cheeks and lips.
They are little different to Botox, which reduces wrinkles through reducing the activity of muscles in the face.
Dermal fillers are specifically intended to deal with the collagen depletion that causes some of the signs of aging in the skin.
What are the pros of dermal fillers?
- They can make you look younger and more rested. Dermal fillers work by smoothing lines and wrinkles and filling out lips and cheeks, reducing the visible signs of aging on the skin.
- The can help to stimulate collagen growth. Collagen is what gives our skin its youthful look. Unfortunately, our bodies start losing collagen in our twenties.
- The treatment is non-surgical. It is a quick and simple procedure which usually takes between 30 minutes and an hour.
- The side effects are mild or moderate. It is normal to experience some redness, bruising and soreness after the procedure, but the recovery time is quick. You can usually go straight back to your regular routine.
- Although it can feel a little uncomfortable, it is not very painful. This pain is minimised with anaesthetic.
What are the cons of dermal fillers?
- They may not be permanent. They tend to last between six and 18 months depending on your body and the type of filler used.
- It can be costly, depending on the clinic that you visit.
- The results can vary from person to person, so no guarantees can be made about the effects and how long the effects will last.
- Some people may experience some additional side-effects, including rashes, swelling, itching and bruising. Infections are also possible. Some people may experience the filler moving away from the area over time.
- There is also the risk of developing lumps under the skin or the filler blocking a blood vessel. However, this is extremely rare.
Advice from Dr. Asher Siddiqi
Dr. Asher Siddiqi, our lead doctor, has a huge amount of experience in aesthetic procedures, including dermal fillers. He says:
“Dermal fillers are a safe and simple procedure if carried out by the right professional. If you are considering getting dermal fillers, always ensure that you visit a qualified doctor and a well-established clinic. A good clinic will use the latest technology and brands and always offer follow-up care.”
If you’d like to find out more, book a free consultation with us at our West Bridgford clinic.